How to get a 70+ pound piece of gear at the top of the heap.
This is the finished winch used for lifitng heavy boxes to mount in the test equipment rack.
Started out with a "Gear" template, and commenced cutting out gear, and mounting collar blanks.
The collars were eventually glued to the gears and here I'm drilling the holes for the bolts that will secure them to the shafts.
Drilling the holes for the shafts. I used closet rod, what you hang you clothes on in the closet, for the shafts. Its hard, and straight grained so its good for heavy lifting.
Gears cut and the teeth filed to fit the pattern, in the rear are the bearing mounts for the shafts.
First look at how the gears will look when its done.
Drilling the holes for the shaft bearings.
I used PVC for the bearings, its slick and pretty tough. A bit of parifin wax on the shafts and its set for life.
Pressing the bearings into the mounts.
Gluing the bearing mounts to the base plate. Note the gear/collar assemblies to the left.
Another preview, just "checkin" to be sure stuff will fit.
Well, this part's done.
Slots where the ropes will fit.
Now the crank.
The crank bushing/sleeve assembly.
The finished crank assembly. The sleeve/ bushing is held in place with a bolt and a coule nuts. The handle is just another piece of Rod, mojunted on a carriage bolt .
The Crank, Gear pattern print out, and the lift ropes. Note each rope has knots at the ends.
This is the Stop so that if something happens, the thing won't unwind. It can be lifted, and rotated to the side to allow the load to be adjusted downward if necessary.